Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    urbino:
    It produced a terrific amount of smoke for so petite a cigar; I think it might have violated the law of conservation of mass.
    ive had this experiance with greycliff before.
  • pilot711pilot711 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 176
    Enjoying my first try of a RP Fusion Double Maduro. About half way through and feel like this is a good one to have in the humi.
  • SacNickSacNick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 77
    Troya XTRA This starts out as a decent cigar. Then towards the middle it get's fruity almost like raisins. Good stuff. I like it when they change, or when I can start to taste the change later in the cigar.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Just lighting up a La Aurora from COTM
    Luko:
    Wow is this thing terrible. Uneven burn, won't stay lit. Smoking like a mother. Wife says it smells bad to her and she's enjoyed the aroma of some of the other smokes. Could be the fact that I'm a neophyte, but I haven't had a problem this bad with any other cigar.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Luko:
    Luko:
    Wow is this thing terrible. Uneven burn, won't stay lit. Smoking like a mother. Wife says it smells bad to her and she's enjoyed the aroma of some of the other smokes. Could be the fact that I'm a neophyte, but I haven't had a problem this bad with any other cigar.
    Whoa there professor! Stop using big words... take that trash to the Cigar Aficionado forums!
    Luko:
    Me no like?
    Aaahhhhhh... my world makes sense again!
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406

I had a La Aurora Cameroon 1495 Corona this afternoon and it was quite tasty. Good smoke. Tonight was a 5 Vegas Gold - solid and consistent as usual. Only complaint was it burned a little hot toward the bottom third.

• dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    I've only had one La Aurora, and I thought it was pretty bad as well. Tonight, for me, was a Fuente 8-5-8. Had to see what all the buzz was about this size. Excellent cigar, and a great size to be sure, but not worth wetting my pants over. The aroma was good, although sullied a bit by the aromatic aftereffects of my wife's BBQ beef dinner.
    i like the 8-5-8 a lot. I agree that it isnt as amazing as they hype indicates but it is a good cigar. (the maduro is my favorite)
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    The 8-5-8 is a Fuente I haven't had. Or if I have, it was long, long ago. I have a few of the candelas on hand, per kuzi's recommendation, and kas, I think, sent me one or two of . . . whatever the normal wrapper is . . . in one of the games.

Sorry to hear about your pants, duty.
    I think I'll go out and have one of these Oliva V lanceros that j0z3r bombed me with. See you cats on the other side.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Tonight was a Padilla '68 robusto, and hot damn, we have a winner in this one. This cigar had that cedar taste I'm quite fond of, and it seemed to be an evolving cedar at that. Started out a spicy cedar and about mid-way through it developed a sweet note to the cedar flavor. Me likey. It was a bit stronger than I had anticipated, and quite spicy throughout with a prominent pepper through the nose, but it was pretty well balanced and I enjoyed the heck out of the whole 80 minutes or so it took to smoke. Two thumbs up from me.

Joe
    urby, I know you've got at least one 8-5-8 with a cameroon wrapper (the standard wrapper). Did you ever make it back in from that Oliva?
    In that case, I think I have 2, cuz I'm pretty sure kas sent me one, too.

Yes, the Oliva was much better than the first Serie V I had. Don't know if it was the different shape or just a different cigar or what, but this one was much, MUCH better. I still have to say I like Oliva's other offerings better, but I'll look forward to smoking the other one of these that j0z3r sent me.
    urbino:
    In that case, I think I have 2, cuz I'm pretty sure kas sent me one, too.

Yes, the Oliva was much better than the first Serie V I had. Don't know if it was the different shape or just a different cigar or what, but this one was much, MUCH better. I still have to say I like Oliva's other offerings better, but I'll look forward to smoking the other one of these that j0z3r sent me.
    Glad to hear you liked this one. I think the Serie G is better myself, but I'm partial to that cameroon wrapper. The V is a nice diversion, but not an everyday type smoke.
    Have you tried the S? It's even better than the G. And the O is darn tasty, too; I really like the little perfecto in that.
    The S is on my "to try" list and I'll probably pick up a couple the next time I order something from ccom whenever that is. Right now I'm sitting on an Oliva Master Blends III, and I'm gonna fire that one up pretty soon and see how that grabs me.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    urbino:
    The 8-5-8 is a Fuente I haven't had. Or if I have, it was long, long ago. I have a few of the candelas on hand, per kuzi's recommendation, and kas, I think, sent me one or two of . . . whatever the normal wrapper is . . . in one of the games.

Sorry to hear about your pants, duty.
    That was a Fuentes Double Chateau Natural. The 8-5-8 is good too, but I just like the Double Chateau better. ( I find better deals on them more often..)
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Tonight was a Padilla Hybrid. Decent smoke, not bad and fairly simple, but flavor was pretty good.
    I had a 5 Vegas Gold toro for a mid-afternoon smoke, not bad, not bad at all. I like a good mild smoke, and this one delivered enough flavor and body to keep from being boring as opposed to the purple label which almost put me to sleep.
  • wilbr11wilbr11 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    Last Night was a Padilla Habano, very nice cigar, even flavor, not a whole lot going on with it, but then again, still developing the pallate. Tonight was the 5 vegas Limitada, It was okay, I wasn't too impressed, but overall a good smoke.
    Capped off the night with an Oliva Master Blends III robusto. And what a robust cigar it was, I'm still a bit light-headed from it. Aside from a wrapper issue (my fault for making a cut in the dark) it was a very nice cigar, perhaps a bit pricey for an everyday smoke, but a nice one to revisit in the future.
    I just had a Padilla '68 torpedo that, I think, Scrambler sent me. (Or maybe it was in a recent COTM?) What a wonderful cigar. I liked it immediately. It tasted of coffee with some spiciness, and it was very creamy and smooth. I'd call it medium-strong; I even got a slight, pleasant buzz from it. The only thing I can complain about is that it got a bit hot and sharp in the last 1.25 inch -- but really, come on. I'd call it a 9.1.

I think this is the first corojo-wrapper cigar I've had. If it's representative, I'll have to try some more.

If you haven't had one of these, have one. You'll be so grateful you'll write my name in your family bible. (Okay, you might not be that grateful, but you'll thank me. Or maybe you won't. Maybe you won't even like it; but that'll just mean there's something wrong with you.)
    urbino:
    I think this is the first corojo-wrapper cigar I've had.
    As with the Sumatra wrapper, I find this very hard to believe.
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    I think this is the first corojo-wrapper cigar I've had.
    As with the Sumatra wrapper, I find this very hard to believe.
    it may be one of those deals where you never knew that it was a corojo.

there are plenty of songs out there where i didnt know it was by a band untill i was told and then made the connection.
    Could be. I don't always take note of the wrapper on cigars when I buy them.
    I just had a Sancho Panza Double Maduro that is about one week out of the Fresh Box I just bought. Started great and just a good flavor, not much complexity but VERY GOOD. Then about the last third it got very harsh and acidic... with some time these may be Friggin' Awesome!!!
    I had another Avo Domaine #30 tonight. Again, just a wonderfully relaxing and pleasant smoke.