Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Scrambler:
    urbino:
    No cigar for me, tonight. I'm having an Abita Light and seeing what's up with some new technology.
    madurofan:
    LOL, if it has the word light OR lite it may not be beer.
    Yeah, but Abita Light is quite possibly the best light beer ever. It's quite drinkable. The only thing I haven't figured out is why all the bars & restaurants charge Abita as an import, when it's brewed and bottled just across the lake.
    its more expensive than bud. thats all. its in the "import" price range. they do the same with Great lakes brewing Co. and thats almost literally down the street from me.

it also drinks like an import. more flavor. less people drink it. goes through the keg slower, less orders, things are cheaper in bulk... many things factor in.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Wow, harsh, guys. Harsh. :)

What can I say? I'm not much of a beer drinker. It leaves me too bloated. Which is why I drink the light stuff (except for Shiner Bock, sometimes). And Abita Light is hands down the best I've had, especially when the weather's hot.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    Yeah, I know the cost is higher, it’s just amusing to me when a bartender/waiter will identify it as an import, or it will be listed under "Imports" on the menu.

At the bar I run, we just use a 3rd price category, we have domestic (Bud, Miller, Coors), import (Heineken, Corona, Guinness), and premium (Abita, Stella Artois, Blue Moon).
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Shiner is pretty good considering it comes from Texas. First time I had it I completely expected it to be BBQ flavored ;)
    But Stella IS an import!
    Scrambler:
    At the bar I run, we just use a 3rd price category, we have domestic (Bud, Miller, Coors), import (Heineken, Corona, Guinness), and premium (Abita, Stella Artois, Blue Moon).
    what no bass?
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    madurofan:
    But Stella IS an import!
    Yeah, but it's a premium import :-) Aside from Miller Lite & Bud Lite, its my best seller despite being my most expensive beer.
    kuzi16:
    what no bass?
    I left out a bunch of names, I carry a lot more than I listed (Sam, Amstel, Mich Ultra, etc) but no Bass, maybe I should add it to my next order. Today marks the 2nd week we've been open, so I'm still gradually building up the selection. I think I might order Newcastle too, it doesn't seem to get much exposure down here though.
    bass ale is better. its great on tap.
    madurofan:
    Shiner is pretty good considering it comes from Texas. First time I had it I completely expected it to be BBQ flavored ;)
    Ha! Now Texas BBQ, that's something I won't go near. I lived down there for 2 yrs., and what they call "barbecue" we call "the leftover cuts of beef with a lot of bad sauce slathered over it."

• BFGarnerBFGarner Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 96
    Barbecue barbecue Barbecue barbecue barbecue barbecue Barbecue barbecue.
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Ha! Now Texas BBQ, that's something I won't go near. I lived down there for 2 yrs., and what they call "barbecue" we call "the leftover cuts of beef with a lot of bad sauce slathered over it."

So so true.
    Any of you guys familiar with North Carolina BBQ?
    Just by reputation, maddy. It's pulled pork, like we do it here, isn't it?
    pork? hmmm i dont eat pork in my house.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Hey BF are you in anyway related to Urbino, other than brothers of the leaf ?
  • BFGarnerBFGarner Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 96
    kaspera79:
    lol no relation
    BFGarner:
    kaspera79:
    lol no relation
    Just like Forrest and Bubba.
  • kodkod Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    urbino:
    madurofan:

Texas BBQ can beat Mephis BBQ any day of the week.
    Uh-oh. I knew a Texan would rise to that, sooner or later.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, kod. ;)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    And back to the topic at hand :)

Today was a toss between two cigars, a Perdomo Cuban Parejo rosado or a Punch Champion, and after a bit of deliberation I chose the latter. And what a great smoke this was, short and stout and burning on all cylinders from the word go. I've mentioned my liking of the Punch punch, but I've gotta say this little firecracker is pulling a really close second. I was amazed at how fast it seemed to be burning, but as it passed the bulge it seemed to take a dramatic slow down, and before I knew it I had clocked about 75 minutes on it. And what a great 75 minutes it was, by the time I was finished the cigar had dropped its ash twice and had only about 1/2 inch of unburned wrapper left. This one will be going on my "must have" list. I give it an enthusiastic two thumbs up.

Joe
    Good to know, joe. OTOH, I was rooting for the Perdomo. I've never smoked a rosado, so I was curious to hear what it was like.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Well, I'm planning on that one tomorrow, urbino. If you pm me your address I'll bomb you with a couple of the Perdomos, you can find out first hand.
    Welll a man can't turn down an offer like that. Thanks!
    As for me, I may have to forgo my favorite weed again, tonight. We've got a storm boiling up. If it's not severe, though, I'll still go out and have something. Probably one of the RPs from the sampler that arrived yesterday.
    j0z3r:
    And back to the topic at hand :)

Today was a toss between two cigars, a Perdomo Cuban Parejo rosado or a Punch Champion, and after a bit of deliberation I chose the latter. And what a great smoke this was, short and stout and burning on all cylinders from the word go. I've mentioned my liking of the Punch punch, but I've gotta say this little firecracker is pulling a really close second. I was amazed at how fast it seemed to be burning, but as it passed the bulge it seemed to take a dramatic slow down, and before I knew it I had clocked about 75 minutes on it. And what a great 75 minutes it was, by the time I was finished the cigar had dropped its ash twice and had only about 1/2 inch of unburned wrapper left. This one will be going on my "must have" list. I give it an enthusiastic two thumbs up.

Joe
    I too have been blessed with the experience of a Punch champion recently and I agree with your take. It has passed the short story as my favorite lunch time smoke!
    J0zer is issuing a bomb threat! Urby you going to take that?
    kuzi16:
    pork? hmmm i dont eat pork in my house.
    Full blooded Jew or just Jewish? lol
    madurofan:
    J0zer is issuing a bomb threat! Urby you going to take that?
    Yes, before he changes his mind!

I dunno if I'm gonna tolerate you dissin' the Short Story, though.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Tonight I had two new smokes for me. First I had a DPG Cuban Classic robusto and I was very impressed. Great cigar. To close out the night I had a Padilla Obsidian. Very slow burn and nice flavor - just not very complex.