Home General Discussion

Tubo vs Non-Tubo

KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
I don't ask many questions on here, but I was wondering this for awhile now...This last november I was at a local BM when they were having a big Anniversary party. Rocky was there showing up his new tubos...Decade...90...92 etc....I asked him what the difference was between these cigars in a fancy metal tube vs the regular boxed cigars. All he really pointed out was that they "age" better because the tubos were lined with cedar..sealed..etc. My question is, do you think it really matters that the cigar was in a cedar lined tube vs being in a cedar lined humidor?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Keeps 'em fresh longer, so humidity/temp swings don't do as much damage; also keeps the wrapper nice and safe. Other than that, it slows aging since the humidity takes much longer to creep in or out. All things being equal, if the cedar box was well-cared for, I doubt it matters much, if at all
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I think Rocky's explanation is more of a marketing gimmick. True, the cigars will probably taste more cedary if they were left in the tubes. I think the cigars will be aged better outside of the tubes because it encourages air circulation within the humi. I don't think cigars will have a chance to age much if they are left in a "stagnant" environment.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    sightunseen:
    I think Rocky's explanation is more of a marketing gimmick. True, the cigars will probably taste more cedary if they were left in the tubes. I think the cigars will be aged better outside of the tubes because it encourages air circulation within the humi. I don't think cigars will have a chance to age much if they are left in a "stagnant" environment.
    Ok, that's what I was thinking too. Thanks.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    I bought a decade tubo to try out and see if there was any difference with some age on it. I got it about 2 months ago so it will be resting for some time before I give it a go. I will let you know what I find out when I do finally smoke it. I will say they look cool but other then what has already been written here in this thread there is nothing else I can add.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Honestly I only buy tubos cause they seem to impress the non cigar smokers... lol.
    It's simply humi art.

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    stephen_hannibal:
    Honestly I only buy tubos cause they seem to impress the non cigar smokers... lol.
    It's simply humi art.

Well Said! LOL I Love that response!
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    stephen_hannibal:
    It's simply humi art.

Well said, and I have to say I agree and do the same.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I can't remember the last time I bought a tubo cigar that I could get in a non-tubo version, which is probably a strong indication of my opinion on the subject.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 285
    i actually think people who don't consistently smoke cigars would be more willing to buy a tubo for the reason that they look cool and can potentially keep the cigar fresher if not stored properly - i have still yet to buy a tubo myself
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    shamrocked:
    i actually think people who don't consistently smoke cigars would be more willing to buy a tubo for the reason that they look cool and can potentially keep the cigar fresher if not stored properly - i have still yet to buy a tubo myself
    I have never bought a Tubo cigar, but have obtained many of them. I never noticed a difference in the way they smoke or taste compared to their traditional counterparts.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Krieg:
    sightunseen:
    Ok, that's what I was thinking too. Thanks.
    same thoughts here too.

i like the cedar taste in cigars and i keep all my tubo cigars in the tubes. I also put all of them in the aging humidor and let them get a few years on them.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    I travel for work...a lot. When I am in the duty free shops at any number of foreign airports I usually pick up a few three packs of Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills and Montecristo Edmundo, all tubos. The only reason I make the point of buying the tubo is that I don't want the cigar to get crushed in my luggage.
    jpclotfelter:
    I travel for work...a lot. When I am in the duty free shops at any number of foreign airports I usually pick up a few three packs of Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills and Montecristo Edmundo, all tubos. The only reason I make the point of buying the tubo is that I don't want the cigar to get crushed in my luggage.
    you should look into getting a travel humi!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    glass tubos are nice for a guy that is a very occasional smoker and doesn't have a humi. they cigar doesn't dry out in the tubo.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    So I realized something about my tubos as I was replying to the SHTF thread: I think of my tubos as celebration sticks. I have plenty of higher-dollar sticks in just cello, so it's not really the dollar factor. Since I keep all my tubos IN the tube, I think it's more of a feeling akin to cracking open a bottle of finer wine - something I dO do on regular occasion, but tend to reserve for more momentous occasions. This doesn't mean it has to be a major milestone, just something I feel like celebrating (and I tend to celebrate a lot lol). Never really occurred to me before that I thought that way about em....I would just be digging through my humi, see one, think "naw, not right now", and move on. Anybody else feel this way?
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    Krieg:
    jpclotfelter:
    you should look into getting a travel humi!
    I've got two and they are usually full when I am traveling. Maybe it is time for me to get the 15 stick herf-a-dor.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    jpclotfelter:
    I've got two and they are usually full
    Yes, I can see you've got two. And, indeed, they are full.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    urbino:
    jpclotfelter:
    I've got two and they are usually full
    Yes, I can see you've got two. And, indeed, they are full.
    ROTFLMAO good one URBI
    Kinda know what u mean. I felt like this towards my makers mark cigars. Lol
  • fireproof.1986@gmail.comfireproof.1986@gmail.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    My brother got me a Herfidor and it works great for that. You might look into one of those (if you look around you can get a 10 or 15 capacity for about $30) to save a few bucks in the long run. Or just save some tubes and refill them with cigars from boxes.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    fireproof.1986@gmail.com:
    My brother got me a Herfidor and it works great for that. You might look into one of those (if you look around you can get a 10 or 15 capacity for about $30) to save a few bucks in the long run. Or just save some tubes and refill them with cigars from boxes.
    If you quote on the thread you are replying to it will appear in your reply like this one. This thread is from back in 2010 so it is doubtful the question is still valid anyway. Either way...welcome to the forum. Check out the newbie welcoming thread and introduce yourself to the gang.
    Thanks for the info...bought mine a few years ago...I have a 5ct and a 15ct. Work great.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    sightunseen:
    Right on point and so many BOTL tend to rave about 'Tubos' as a much better cigar. I admit to having them in my humidors and I have cigars ( same brand, vitola, etc.) that aren't in the tubos. I keep them in the same environment and I can't tell one from a tubo vs one that was naked. Having cedar wrapped around the cigar is nice but my humidors are cedar...my tupperadors are lined on the bottom and sides with cedar and they do the same thing. I hate to scream "marketing" but in this case...yeah, it's just a way to make tubos a little more exotic to sell to the masses. Just buy your cigars w/o the gimmick and save money to buy more.....cigars.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Krieg:
    Thanks for the info...bought mine a few years ago...I have a 5ct and a 15ct. Work great.
    Hey Chris, you have to admit it was pretty nice seeing the responses from all our old friends who don't visit anymore. When I saw Urbi, Red, Hayes, gypsy, xmacro, and the others it brought back some good memories. I'm glad you got an answer and a solution.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    No kidding Kas, I really do miss urby and them all.
    kaspera79:
    Krieg:
    Hey Chris, you have to admit it was pretty nice seeing the responses from all our old friends who don't visit anymore. When I saw Urbi, Red, Hayes, gypsy, xmacro, and the others it brought back some good memories. I'm glad you got an answer and a solution.
    True...hays is over in Europe I think. Lol