Home Non Cigar Related

Guitars

13»

Comments

• Cigar SherlockCigar Sherlock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    I've got an American Telecaster and was going to inherit a 68 Martin D-28 that my dad has played for 40 years..but he sold it because of family money issues (sister got divorced for second time, has 4 kids, no job etc etc). But anyways, Dad and I took a trip down to Road Atlanta last weekend and we stopped by to see a friend of his. This friend happens to own a very rare collection of acoustic guitars, and it was quite an honor to hold and observe a 1935 Pre-war Martin D-28. I was told it's the holy grail of guitars..but heck, I play the piano.../shrug :)
  • Smokin651Smokin651 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    Humm.. Well I have a Frankintar LoL, it was an elcheapo I used to give lessons at the music store I worked at. The darned thing just had such a wonderful feeling neck I decided to keep it. I had the owner drop in 2 Dimarzio double humbuckers and a custom 6 way tone nob that he built, also have a Steinberger 4 string and a set of Hart Dynamics electronic drums. Have to admit, I am a middelin guitar and bass player, my main instrument is the drums.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Smokin651:
    Well I have a Frankintar LoL,
    .... i too have a Frankentar ...

the neck is from a Yamaha rgx 220 with whatever tuning keys i could find. the body is a throw away from a strat copy that i had to mod to get it to look/feel right. i have a DiMarzio PAF pro in the neck position and a DiMarzio Steves Special in the neck. the knobs are from a friend that had two black speed knobs laying around. i have a three way switch: neck, inner coils on both in parallel, bridge. there is a second switch in there that cuts out the low end (opposite of tone knob). the bridge is a floyd rose that is missing the arm part. i got it from a friend who was selling off all his guitar stuff. nobody wanted it because it was missing screws and the arm.

the paint job is the best though. spray painted by hand a flat black. then stenciled on a picture of Happy Noodle Boy (see cartoon below)
    all in all, the guitar is sweet. used to love to play punk shows with it. every now and then a "real" guitarist would ask about it and i would tell them what went into it. most of the time they were impressed.

for your viewing pleasure, i give you happy noodle boy:
    the picture on the guitar is the one of happy noodle boy giving the homeless man the finger. the homeless man is not on the guitar, nor are the words.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    Kuzi, thanks for the varitone post link. Might not be what I want to do on this project, or maybe I'll toss it in later if I figure a good way to set it up. Maybe someday when I get around to the homemade "frankenstang".... It's a really cool concept that got me thinking. Thanks for the advice on the caps too.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    ljl:
    Kuzi, thanks for the varitone post link. Might not be what I want to do on this project, or maybe I'll toss it in later if I figure a good way to set it up. Maybe someday when I get around to the homemade "frankenstang".... It's a really cool concept that got me thinking. Thanks for the advice on the caps too.

Hey, got to thinking. Any reason I couldn't shove the varitone switch into a foot pedal? That way I would have bypass and I'd be able to use it with all my guitars. Plus no body mods (which I am not a big fan of).
  • tincup703tincup703 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 58
    The only thing I have left is a Martin D-28 I bought new in 1968. Yeah I really am that old!